Saturday 11 April 2020

Boardman - Columbia River Transition scene UPDATE 2


12/4/2020 (AEST) 

Well its been a busy two week on the layout since the last update. I've been concentrating on the trasition scene, up to the UP bridge at Nelle Bay (Formerly Nelle Inlet). 

Follow the photos below and I'll take you through the latest changes!!!



Adding ground cover "Dirt & soil" at the work bench to a section styrofoam scenery. 


Looking at the opposite side to the previous photo. This shows the rock face and coloring. This section will be added to the scene. The dark sections of rock face has been lightened up since this photo was taken. This was done by dry brushing light tones over the black. This rock face is not seen when standing in the Columbia River Errr I mean isleway, only when looking from end on!!!


Here the section has been located in its postion, Glued with Hot glue to the baseboard. static grass was applied at the work bench. In the background are the basalt ciffs of the Columbia River Gorge


Looking down the valley, between the basalt rocks. Fortunately for the UP, the river and time have created a water level route to follow. 
Here I'm standing on the opposite side of the Columbia River looking at the scene


Onto Nelle Bay!

Here I had to use a mirror to see what I was doing. I was putting scenery in a very difficult place and I couldn't see from the front so I had to use a mirror. You've heard of painting by numbers ...Well this is painting by Mirrors. 
Here I'm separating rocks by size fraction. Not a lot of science here, just grabbed the strainers I had available

I've mocked up the rock erosion protecion wall, to visualise the scene. I sprinkled some of the fine talus I had on it. It looked horrible so lucky I had only mocked the scene. The beauty of this hobby is to be able to trial things and see what works and what doesn't!



Here I've added more rocks to the embankment. Notice I remove odd coloured and oversized rocks.



Here I've glued the rocks that protect the land from erosion.

Having removed the tape from the mainline and making ready to ballast the track. I really like the way the dirt road meanders down the hill to the R/R track. Oh and photos help you notice things. This reminded me that I needed to add sleepers to the track joint in the middle of the photo. 

Whilst the glue was drying on the river bank, I ballasted the mainline, and added some grass to the dirt road!!!




Looking R/R Westbound
A final photo of the west bank. Note how the meandering road and backdrop just seems to extend the scene. Track grade crossing signs, trees, farm animals and maybe a vehicle will fill out this scene. That will be done in stage 2. But for now its time to focus on the East side of Nelle Bay. 

I've jumped about 3 days ahead now. The land behind the bridge has been sceniced. The front of the embankment is recieving the rock protection. The boat ramp will be blended in a little more along the edges but the scene is taking shape. Note the suttle weathering on the UP Bridge sides. 

I'm on the opposite bank of the Columbia Rver, checking out the scene. 

This photo was taken by a drone. Surveying the overall scene. Still have the riverbed to do but you can get a feel here for the scene.



1 comment:

  1. Terrific work Duncan and you're really capturing the feel of the UP along the Columbia River wonderfully.
    The UP's water level grade you mention near Boardman and elsewhere along the Columbia River is thanks to the US Army Corps of Engineers and the series of dams (McNary, Dalles and John Day) built from the late 1940s through late 1960s which submerged the old line and resulted in the vastly superior alignment today.
    Jeff Asay's UPHS book "Union Pacific Northwest" and the earlier PFM edition of the same name cover this, the construction of Hinkle yard and acquisition of the Spokane International well. A great prototype to model, along with the BNSF!
    Cheers, John G

    ReplyDelete